Swoop-Man

Re: STBB #789 VOTE

Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:16 am

1. IllHack

2. Wigmaster

3. Super Sen

I injected the Prodigy's "Mindfields" into my track. Always been a fan of The Prodigy since the late 90's. I down pitched and drenched the sample in reverb to make an ambient sample as a layer for the background.
1 x

The Wig Master

Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:21 am

joa you nailed it on mine. the phil collins ad lib was spread throughout the beat and I played it at the end. the comment on your mix was based on listening through jbl lsr305's in comparison to the other mixes. of course those frequencies could have just been hiding on my system. my mixes are often dull so take my feedback with a grain of salt. I have no idea what anyone's Easter eggs were. also I thought cascassette's was a non entry
0 x

mr. nbtbl

Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:35 am

JoaGymshoe wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:53 am
mr. nbtbl wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:30 am
Mine is one bar drums from "Eric B and Rakim". The Album is 35Years old...

Was quite clear on the raw flip, but eventually it got a bit lost in the mix. The compressor killed that boomy base...
You can still find that track... Listening to that album is always worth it :)

jeez.. glad u didn't make it too hard? :lol: .. at 50<>51 seconds right?
You got it!
1 x

mr. nbtbl

Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:44 am

The Wig Master wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:03 am
nbtbl- little quiet. the hat is kinda piercing. nothing bad here just not really grabbing me at all. again drums could use more swing
Thanks for the detailed feedback!
The quietness puzzles me.. I had the feeling that it is too loud, maybe only that nasty bass which some speakers don't like at all...
If you keep up the feedback, my personal goal should be to make you vote for me once this year ;)
1 x

JoaGymshoe
STBB Wins: playlist: https://on.soundcloud.com/kH3Rc

Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:53 am

Swoop-Man wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:16 am
I injected the Prodigy's "Mindfields" into my track. Always been a fan of The Prodigy since the late 90's. I down pitched and drenched the sample in reverb to make an ambient sample as a layer for the background.
how did i not hear that?.. :P ( i really need that sweatdrop smile emoji here! )
The Wig Master wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:21 am
joa you nailed it on mine. the phil collins ad lib was spread throughout the beat and I played it at the end. the comment on your mix was based on listening through jbl lsr305's in comparison to the other mixes. of course those frequencies could have just been hiding on my system. my mixes are often dull so take my feedback with a grain of salt. I have no idea what anyone's Easter eggs were. also I thought cascassette's was a non entry
cool.. was also an easier guess coz you never made a secret of the fact you are an 80's balad fan.

it's nice to hear something i made is dope.. although, when asking for feedback my first question always is: what can be improved?
i'm glad you added that disclaimer btw..

oh, with all that banter i'm totally forgetting to actually vote.. uhmm-hm..
0 x

mr. nbtbl

Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:58 am

Now to the votes...
This is a hard week for me. I just don't like the sax sample. It mostly always gives this bartimejazz feel...
(1) Would have been yamakozi for not using the sax at all... and i really dig that vibe

1 Joa - the drums are dope and best use of the sax in my opinion.
2 Mzfk - The first 20 seconds are just cool. Maybe get Joa or someone to rap on this :)
3 Elevated - Could be a bit louder and without aca. but i love the lofi sound of it. This is what i had in mind (and not achieved) two weeks ago
0 x

illhack
STBB Wins: 1

Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:25 am

My vote:

1. Swoop
2. Super Sen
3. Wigmaster

Hint my Easter egg
Digga-da, digga-da, digga-da, digga-digga-da-da
Now you have a clue the next time you hear it, peace!
1 x

JoaGymshoe
STBB Wins: playlist: https://on.soundcloud.com/kH3Rc

Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:42 am

mr. nbtbl wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:58 am
1 Joa - the drums are dope and best use of the sax in my opinion.

thankyouuu.. i made it a non-entry earlier today after i tweaked it though..

observation. some of the louder tracks hurt my ears when turning up the volume.. sound quality got bad..
not so much the case with tracks lower in volume..
i try not to push the loudness so far it messes with the soundquality..
also listening to that shit gave me tinnitus..

so these beats battled the hardest imo....

illhack.1.. just down the block from me :)
MzFk.2 ..hip hop bro!.. so much potential
Elevate.3 .. aca lower vol. + the sharp edges eq'd off it would have been killer..

Dead. made me nod so hard..

shout out to the usual suspects! Swoop, Wig, Sen, Naturelle...
1 x

The Wig Master

Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:15 am

joa your bass line definitely sounds more audible now. I forgot I was gonna suggest a subtle saturation to make it pop out of the speaker a bit more. if you want a critique it would be the vibe of the song is very hype, aggressive and in your face. it works for a battle but it hinders repeat listening a bit. I'm listening on a jbl flip speaker right now and the snare sounds like too much high eq. I'd filter it so it's just more mid range and lo-fi. again that's just how it sounds on my mediocre setup
0 x

MzFk

Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:17 am

I - SWOOP
II - DINOBEATZ
III_ N A T U R E L L E
Dope flips this week. peace :fire: :earth: :weed: :peace: :music:
0 x

cascassette

Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:51 am

1. Elevated Kings Music - you found something completely new in these samples, much respect
2. «NATURELLE» - is the bass a sample?
3. Super Sen - just most vibes overall, summer feeling (also I found your secret sample)
1 x

Elevate
STBB Wins: 2

Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:13 am

1. Wigmaster: sick flip. With a crazy pocket. I wonder what it would sound like without the sample
2 swoop took a trip with that pad. Crazy! Sounds like track photo 4real.
3. Super sen: love the groove and the arrangement that arp tho

Great week with some great samples!!!!
1 x

DEAD408

Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:37 am

1. Wigmaster
2. Elevated Kings Music
3. «NATURELLE»

MzFk, iLLHack, Godall, Yamakozi, Nbtbl, Joagymshoe, cascassette, bigfamily

Was too busy this week to take notes, but i Will next week
Also Joagymshoes beat inspired me to try and do a more live beat next STBB
3 x

MOXATRON

Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:53 am

Yo what's good peps?

Sorry on the phone hard to leave comments and tings...

3.Swoop!

2 supersen

1.Reefer madness production

Peace Mox.
0 x

naturelleboombap

Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:59 am

Lil'P: i am missing the dynamics. this could be something if it was less compressed.
1. Swoop!: Dang! Vibes all over this. perfect sound selection and sounddesign. in love with this beat
DEAD口: nonentry ->drums: dope pattern and sound. as fare as taste: the hiss is a bit annoying to me. the cuts can be different.
entry -> dope reuse of the drums. cuts are not my taste.
illhack: dope chops and filterwork. the shaker is a bit too loud. drums can be puchier. kick needs more bottom.
bigfamily: chops are not my taste. snare sound is nice. turn hihat a tiny bit down. different kick, change the drum pattern and swing them more. they are so quantized.
Farmer Dillo: snare sound is dope. would work as an interlude.
Dheurt: chopas are not my taste. drums aren`hitting
MOXATRON: i see where you wanted to go with this. less extra kicks. maybe more of an distorted 808+bass and the hats playing more trap type of pattern. chops are dope
nbtbl: the first part of the piano loop is dope. got that oldschool vibe. bass works. would change the drum sound+ hihat is very upfront
dinobeatz: kick+bass need more separation in mix. kick pattern is dope. snare needs more body (maybe 300-800 hz). turn the plucked synth up and the sax down or filter it.
ascassette: drums not hitting. but the drumsound is dope. snare is too harsh. dope vibe.
Elevated Kings Music: muddy mix. especially the lows. did you bounce to cassette? sweet swing and dope vibe.
Hugh G Twatt: the sax cuts randomly flying in are a bit annoying. not my taste.
2. WigMaster: the mix needs more highs. hats and snare especially. the double snare hit is not my taste. bass sound is super dope. i like the swing on this.
Reefer Madness Production: solid beat. nice oldschool vibe. the hihat has a very annoying high frequency. maybe somwhere over 14k hz.
3. Super Sen: def put this in my playlist. sounds finished. the sax is a bit too repetetive to my taste. maybe a bit more highs on the hihat.
MzFk: dope idea. change the bassline, can be more funky. outro not my taste. kick can be punchier.
TrakMakesDaBeats: snare sound is dope. mix is unbalanced. kick is way too quiet. balance everything round the snare. that sweep is a great idea. love to hear a longer release on that and more on beat.
JoaGymshoe: kind of chaotic but still funky. like it. would have voted for this(why non entry?) the lows on the bass are a bit too present. how was it like working with pads an keys first time? i am not shure with your easter egg though. (great idea filtering that from time to time btw)
2 x

Return to “STBB Beat Battles”