BLeS24

Weirdness with stbbforever.com and my home network connection

Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:56 pm

just made it through a weird issue with site and wanted to post something about it on the board in case anyone else ever encounters.

could just be my set up, but have never had anything like this happen in the past.

friday night I was posting my vote and when i previewed the post the site hung up and gave me an ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT notice in chrome.

refreshed a few times and error kept coming up.

every other web site i went to was working fine

also checked on my phone and site timed out in safari. so assumed was something up with site.

i passed out at my computer not long after and woke up shortly before deadline and site still wasn't working so I sent a message with my vote to the stbb soundcloud.

site still wasn't working for me saturday and then i saw on soundcloud that barry labeled his beat a winner. so knew site had to be working.

checked on my phone again, did same thing still in safari. but, when i turned off my wireless connection and loaded with my data connection site came right up.

i could also see site fine through a proxy, so basically seemed to be working everywhere not my home network connection

started doing all kinds of steps to try and resolve from suggestions online, dns flush, settings / cookies, network changes, router resets and nothing seemed to work.

finally got a minute to call my isp today and they didn't have any answers either.

trying all steps i went through previously again tonight, just solved after doing another factory reset on my wireless router.

not sure why the previous two didn't do the trick but so far so good. maybe steps of processes I went through.

weird and glad not happening anymore because if was frustrating AF :D
2 x

Granny David

Re: Weirdness with stbbforever.com and my home network connection

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:40 pm

I couldn't get on here around the same time on Friday (it was actually Saturday morning here in the UK) So roughly around 11:30pm Pacific Time, not long before voting ended. It was all fixed after about 15 minutes though. It just temporarily said 'ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT'

I have no idea what happened with yours man, and for it to be down for most of the next day too sounds strange. I'm sure a mod will pop-up and be able to shed some light on this for you :)
1 x

waxramble
GC90

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:22 pm

Man I'm really sorry for all the trouble you went through Bless - This was a huge headache last Friday, the site was essentially blocked to everyone here by IP address.

Will try to make this tl;dr version - Basically some back end security feature on our server malfunctioned, blocking all of our IPs including my own. In order to resolve the issue, I had to reach out to our web host and spend an hour working on resolution. The outcome is that the feature is turned off, which removed block. I am going to leave the feature turned off for now as my research has found it's not very crucial for a site of our size and also because it requires fine-tuning to prevent a crazy unexpected issue like we experienced which I lack the ability and knowledge to tweak correctly.

I believe this issue should be completely resolved, but if there's anyone out there still impacted if you private message me your IP address I can provide this to our host when trying to replicate issue - You can go to a site like https://www.whatsmyip.org/ to find this information

In the future, if you're ever experiencing problems please do not hesitate to reach me by e-mail which is waxramble AT popularGooxgl3provider (Just avoiding bots seeing this and spamming me, feel free to PM me if you need me to spell it out more to ya :lol:)

Anyway, sorry again for the trouble guys. Appreciate everyone that alerted me to the issue last week.

3 x

BLeS24

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:47 am

its all good man. thankfully seemingly resolved for all, just took a little longer for me. i think something was also not clearing out on my end properly. figured good to have something on board about it in case pops up and might fast track someone else. your doing gods work over here, bound to be hiccups. keep up the good work as always
1 x

waxramble
GC90

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:59 am

Yeah man the thread is a great idea! Thank you for getting that posted, really appreciate yours and everyone else's help keeping things running too :)
0 x

B-Jam vs Enos

Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:10 am

BLeS24 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:47 am
its all good man. thankfully seemingly resolved for all, just took a little longer for me. i think something was also not clearing out on my end properly. figured good to have something on board about it in case pops up and might fast track someone else. your doing gods work over here, bound to be hiccups. keep up the good work as always
It was down for several days for me. I could only get on via a VPN.
0 x

Return to “STBB News”